Scientest In The Kitchen

p.s. No, these are not any cakes that us amateur patisseries have made but there is always wishful thinking.

So we've got our midterms just around the corner an of course this involves cakes. Oh, and creams and Bavarians and tuiles and mousses and gingersnaps and tempered chocolate and more on the never ending list. We have to bake and compose a cake all on our own doing which means we pick the flavor combos and decorative work.


Now I've been exercising some options and I'm kind of keen on doing this:
A Manly Dessert-
Mustard based Cake
With a Pretzel Crust
And a Dark Ale Mousse
Topped with a Dark Chocolate Ganche
And sprinkled with Salted Caramel

But I'm afraid I may scare my teacher cause he already believes me to be a wild card because of my love of sneaking in extra ingredients to our desserts so some back up options include:
Seasonal Dessert-
Butternut Squash Cake
With a Butterscotch Bavarian
And a Chestnut Cream Cream Filling
And a Cinnamon & Apple layer stuck somewhere in between
Smothered with a Honey and White Chocolate Ganache

But who knows, I may just flake out and make a basic White & Black cake with some fancy decorative to adorn the top. They're a couple of guidelines that have to be followed like a minimum of two layers of cake and the use of two different fillings. What do you guys think? Should I risk making a festive cake or keep it clean? Sometimes I get these urges to use the kitchen as a lab but tend to forget that it will be reflected in my marks. I'll keep you updated cause I'm sure a couple more combinations will spring to mind before the big day two weeks away.

No comments: