Numero 2 Cake


I finally got around to completing a cake I'm happy about. I kept the same kind of formula, some spices, a little citrus & tea, but this time with success. I think I may have gotten a few extra brownie points with the chef for staying a little later a couple of nights but that's nothing compared to the self gratification of making something that makes you blush and taste good at the same time.


I'll take you through a little guide like the last time around:

Bottom layer is a shortbread crust where I added some chai spices (cardamom, clove, ginger and a few other flavors)

Up next is a layer of honey mousse with a teenie bit of lemon zest

Then is a lemon cake with lemon segments hiding in there

And the cherry on the cake, and earl grey tea mousse with little chunks of cacao beans. I had a terrible time with this one cause my gelatin kept on seizing up on me, creating a chunky mousse as opposed to the wanted air-y ones. I finally realized I was initially having a heavy hand with the gelatin so the second time around I just added less and I got that texture I was going for.

Finally, wrapped around the cake is a jacadon which is a thin, pliable cake that I baked upon a stencilled cigarette paste design.

I'm still thinking of a name for it but I'm thinking of stealing the title Sunday Morning from the last cake I tried. Just cause it's one of those cakes I could imagine eating in bed.

And Claire Clark came in to take to the class as promised this afternoon. Now I'm experiencing an existential crisis cause the master patisserie told us of 14 hour days and a gas pilot stove explosion. And with all the 'glory marks' I've received on my arms and hands from ovens & hot pans I'm wondering if I'll ever love it enough and endlessly to sacrifice everything she has to be master of your craft. The hand modeling gig I had always used as a back up plan is out of the question so I guess I'm sticking with it...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dear erin. nice cake. suck it up. i spend 14 hour days at school all the time. seriously. love mynthia.