Dinner of the Vegan Gods


I have to admit that I was a bit peckish after arriving home from work and had a faint desire to just whip together peanut butter and banana sandwich but my need to use up the veggies spilling from my fridge made me rethink tonights supper. As you can see my presentation skills are still lacking but it tasted yummy and that's what matters most. I frequent the farmers market and grab whatever looks freshest or recommended by the farmer him/herself. This past week I came home with bundles of Swiss chard, both yellow and green zucchinis and the worlds yummiest cherry tomatoes. I always try to grab some sort of vegetable I've never tried so this weeks challenge was summer squash.Though they look very similar to zucchinis the taste difference is huge. Squash tends to be a bit sweeter with less of a crunch. Being Sunday and having an extra hour or two to myself I decided to go a little mad in the kitchen.I roasted that aforementioned. Threw together some sweet potato fries with chili and lime to boot. I still haven't perfected the temperature and roasting time so I dare not share my recipe quite yet. Eggplants were grilled, couscous was made and onions and garlic were roasted. Please don't mistake me for a glutton. This veggie party was wrapped in my fridge and will be used throughout the week for different styles of wraps for my lunches. But tonight I enjoyed my newly revived veggies with some wild rice and salsa, cause salsa is needed in any situation. All topped off with a square of tofu which I mistakenly overcooked.

I also picked up the spice cardamom at the suggestion of the pastry chef at my work. This is the same women who informedme of the cook shop on the west end of town that sells discounted henkel knifes so in my books she can do no wrong. Cardamom is a spice used primaraly in Indian sweets and teas like chia. Cultivated from a bush of the ginger familyit has sweet undertones. It's also one of the most expensive spice by weight, second to saffron. The Baker as I have so kindly dubbed her suggested using it with grilled peaches. Any guesses as to what tommorows desert will be?

3 comments:

burekaboy — said...

hey there, thanks for adding me to your blogroll ;)

about the fries -- try @ 425 F and use some oil to coat them (needed for next step); add the spices you like and mix well. bake for 30 to 45 minutes; depends on how thin/thick you cut them. up to 60 min for regular potatoes. use parchment paper & they won't stick at all. you can sub ener-g egg replacer also instead of the oil.

which market do you go to? granville?

Erin said...

Thanks for the tip.

Would you do the same for sweet potatoes?

I go to the Wednesday Farmers Market at Nat Baily Stadium(Ontario & 36th)which hosts a lot of the same vendors that go to the Kits Market & Trout Lake Market on Saturdays. I hate to say I aviod Granville Market but the crowds are crazy.

Anonymous said...

erin, sorry for the confusion ... LOL, those were the instructions for the sweet potatoes.

you cook reg potatoes a bit longer (as i mention up to 60 minutes). you'll have to experiment as not everyone's (oven) heating elements give off the same temps.

you're right, granville is tourist hell & mob central most of the time.