Puff the Magic Pastry



Today we made Puff Pastry. For all the labour involved I would recommend browsing your freezer section for some Phyllo goodness but I think better results are achieved by hand...



Puff Pastry is a laminated dough meaning simply it's folded into butter or to fancy things up a tad the French decided to fold the butter over the dough. The latter seems to result in a bit more rise to your pastry. This recipe is not for the faint of heart; after all is said and done I think the fat content is close to 70%. A proper dough is supposed to have 149 layers of fat and 150 layers of dough. As you can see with the initial shapes and the end results the dough rises about six to eight times it size.


The fun part is shaping and filling the dough. We ended up with a couple different shapes but my favorite was the above, the holy Feuilletees. I docked(poke with a fork) the bottom to create a base and after it was cooled from the oven I filled it with Creme De Almond and a few blueberries. We also made turnovers(filled with cherries), bear claws(with an apple mixture tucked inside) pinwheels(slathered with apricot & cardamon mash).

No comments: